POWER IS IN OUR HANDS

“Look at that aunty and the other bike, race and go there” these were the words that I heard from a young child seated on the front side of a bike at a busy traffic signal. The man whom I assume should be his father, quickly moved a few feet away from the stop line and waited ahead of the others. 

How many of us teach our children basic things nowadays? Our lives have become so fast-paced, with hundreds of channels and innumerable entertainment at our disposal. We have no time to even talk to our kids, which brings in the fear of how our next generation would be. Just imagine, the ’80s and the ’90s kids, we were told every now and then ‘don’t do this’ ‘don’t go there’, ‘you are not allowed to watch this’, so many restrictions, which I felt was a hindrance then. But now, I feel it’s the rock-solid foundation that my parents have given me. 

Today, I am a mother of twin boys, at times when I read in the newspaper that young adolescent boys, rape and murder girls, it is disheartening. I keep wondering what a burden it is on my shoulders to grow up my boys as socially responsible children. To bring them up with values and understand their responsibilities in our society. Had it been our prime days, our parents would have never thought it to be a burden, as we knew that there are certain rules which by default required to be adhered to. No, I am not saying that in the ‘90s or early ‘2000s there were not such crimes, there were, but maybe as rare as hen’s teeth. 

The values, that our parents taught us, the fear that we had to break the rules, seems to be void now. Today’s children have more sources to take the wrong path or the path not taken, than the path which ought to be taken. And hence we have more youngers joining the Al Qaeda, as they don’t have anything better to do, some youngsters commit suicide for failing exams or a squabble with their loved ones. 

I feel it is our responsibility, the current generation of parents should take time to imbibe some values to our children, just the way our parents were focused on spending time with us, to make us responsible citizens. Remember at least for a selfish ulterior motive, tomorrow when we become old, it is these irresponsible children whom we have to look up to, so better water the plant properly, if you want to eat good fruits.  

Had that father told his son, that crossing the stop line before the signal turns green is dangerous for you and me, had that father respected women in his house, that would have registered in these children’s minds, they would grow up to be a responsible citizen!

Remember the power is in OUR HANDS.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Where are you?

Her Dance